GIRLHOMEABOUTFAQDIYOUTFITSCREATURESSHOP

Friday, March 9

Mini Skandinavian Jelly Pies

Today I'm so happy to share my first reader submitted guest post!  The lovely Sarah from A Girl In Transit is here to share her recipe for mini pies!
________________________________________________________

Hi there! I'm Sarah and I'm a wife, mother, dog owner, and the writer of my blog
A Girl In Transit. First off I want to say how awesome Katie is. So creative and inspiring and I'm SO thankful that I'm sharing a recipe with you on her blog today. Thank you Katie! Below you'll find my own rendition of a family recipe. Mini Skandinavian Jelly Pies. The perfect snack to bake when you are craving a berry treat. Especially when berries aren't in season. Enjoy!

I've been wanting pie lately, but none of the fresh fruit in season has me inspired, so I did my own spin on a recipe my mom taught me. My mother's recipe is two sugar cookies sandwiched together with jam in the middle. Mine is two pie crust dough with preserves in the middle. The great part about jam and preserves is you can buy it (or make it when the fruit is in season) and you can use it throughout the year. We chose raspberry preserves. Samantha definitely enjoyed them and was the perfect little companion and helper.

- Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup shortening (recommended: Crisco. I would also recommend the measured sticks of Crisco. Much easier to work with)
  • Ice water
  • Optional, sanding sugar
- Filling: 1 jar of preserves.  (I used a 13 oz jar and had some left over. )
- Serves about a dozen

- Directions:
In a medium-mixing bowl cut the shortening and salt into the flour by hand or with a pastry blender until it's the texture of cornmeal. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water over the mixture and mix just until the dough is moistened. Repeat by adding 6 to 8 tablespoons water (one at a time) until all the dough is just moist. Take care not to over mix.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Divide the dough in half and roll into a ball. Roll 1 of the balls out with a rolling pin. (Tip: sandwich the dough between two pieces of wax paper. You handle the dough less and you don't need extra flour which would dry out the crust.)
 Cut out 12 small circles with a cookie cutter (My cutter was about 3 inches across). Place on a greased cookie sheet. Dollop about a tablespoon of preserves in the center of each circle. Then proceed to roll out the 2nd ball of dough and cut out 12 more circles with the cookie cutter.
With water or egg wash use a brush or your finger to outline the bottom dough circle's outer edge. This acts as a glue to seal the top dough circle to the bottom. Once all the pies have the tops on them push the edges around to seal and either prick with a fork or cute an x with a knife in the middle of each pie to let them vent. Brush more egg wash over the top of each pie and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are light brown.
*Click HERE to see the original pie crust recipe

***Thank you so much, Sarah, for sharing this amazing recipe!  I can't wait to try it out!!
Have a great weekend, friends!  xoxo Katie

30 comments:

  1. These look Delicious and Beautiful, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love pictures with the raspberry jam - beautiful colour and structure! yammi!

    staklene bombone

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is heavenly :) I adore jelly pies and should make them more! I wanted to bake this afternoon but I've just discovered that all the eggs are gone. Such a bummer! xo Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simple & great idea! I will definitely try these, I think creme de marrons would make an amazing filling... (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh wow. they look so good!

    -Ani x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this look very yum!!! A real recipe as compared to the fake one I posted today. lol. Will try these for sure... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These types of things are right up my alley! I can't wait to make them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! Those look amazing!
    http://mindpnq.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. In England these are called Jam Tarts :) They're very yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! These look so good! I'm going to have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Sarah's blog!
    And BOY these look yummy!!
    I know what I'm doing this weekend... :)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah is my wife and she is amazing at this stuff. Thanks Katie for featuring her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aawwww how adorable is the picture of her cute little daughter looking into the bowl?! Dearest! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gah! These look so delicious! I definitely wanna try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. omgggggg these look SO delicious. I definitely know what I'll be doing on my day off

    ReplyDelete
  16. GEEGEE
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and our Samantha with your lovely group. Sarah is great cook and most wonderful Mom. 'Couse, I wouldn't be partial. Sarah's Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw! It's so cute! I'm not a pie person though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my goodness, these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh these look so cute!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. yum and adorable!

    grace
    http://herumbrella.com
    http://posheventplanning.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so cute and look super-delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got these baking in the oven right now :) Tried quite a few different jams in them, including a spicy apple and some Ficoco...pretty excited! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. these look so good! love the last pic :)

    georgia
    http://swonderfulgd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness, these look incredibly delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. those look yummy!!! and the best part, super easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG, pardon me while I wipe the drool from my computer screen. I promise I tried not to lick it, but I couldn't help it! Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look so yummy! I have to make some with my daughters.

    You little girl is sooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm a little late to the party, but these look so delicious and adorable. Totally making these for Easter weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just pinned this for later. Pies are my favorite... especially mini ones! Look sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seems to be delicious ! I'll try soon.

    ReplyDelete